Friday 27 July 2012

Tattoo

it's been a few weeks since I last posted. My health has not been wonderful and I've been battling with depression again. Have managed to get some jobs done. Had a new fusebox put into the house. A proper modern one with switches which flip down when a fuse blows. Resetting a fuse now means flipping the switch up instead of wresting with fuse holders, prising the wire out, and then putting new fuse wire in, all while perched upon 2 chairs stacked atop of each other to reach the fuse box. Tomorrow the electrician is coming back again to wire up the fuse box with the one in the dog portacabin so they will have lighting and the plug sockets will be working so that I can place a fan in there during hot weather, use my clippers , and leave a radio on for them. It'll be great.
 Sadly, last month I had to have my beautiful German shepherd bitch put to sleep after she attacked and mauled one of my lhasa apsos. The attack was not an isolated incident. I could never trust her around the smaller dogs or the cats and was very worried if she ever got out and mauled a child. Poor Bronnie was badly injured with deep puncture wounds and broken ribs and she lost an eye too. I ran her to the emergency weekend vet and she was patched up and operated on immediately, and when I returned later to collect her, I took Beulah with me and she was put to sleep. Bronnie then was on strict cage rest for a week. Physically she healed well, but for several days afterwards, when she was allowed outside to toilet, she was very very anxious, and kept looking around for Beulah. All in all the vet bill came to around £500. Then the following week, Kaiser my German shepherd cross started to limp badly. There was nothing obvious making him limp so I had him X-rayed. Nothing really obvious was found but a slight lifting of cartilage on his 'good' shoulder (possible OCD?). This was another £300+, so I have had to tighten my  belt dramatically in order to pay off the bill. I decided to sell surplus things on ebay too and this helped.

Last week I decided to get a tattoo. It's been on my 'bucket list' of things to do before I die, along with learning to dance Flamenco and belly dance. Well sadly I'll never manage those now because of my worsening arthritis and spine problem, but getting a tattoo is something I can do. I pondered for ages about what design to have. Lookmed at pictures on the internet and wracked my brains. Then like a light came on in my head, it came to me "remember the RAINBOW WARRIOR, 10th July 1985".
A whole generation doesn't know that the French government committed an act of terrorism on civilians in a foreign country on that date. The French wanted to test nuclear weapons in the south pacific seas, to the detriment of sea creatures, and native people living on nearby islands. The Rainbow warrior was the Greenpeace flagship and it was planned that this brave little ship with brave crew members, were to sail to the place and stop the tests, just by being there and getting in the way right on the blast site. Greenpeace is a peace loving group who put themselves in the way of danger in order to prevent powerful groups from doing bad things to the environment and living creatures for the sake of money. The French secret service placed 2 bombs on this ship one night, as it was docked in port in New Zealand, while the crew were aboard and sleeping. These were civilian men and women sleeping peacefully aboard the little ship. The bombs were timed so as to cause as much damage and kill or injure as many people as possible. After the first one went off killing one person and injuring others, other crew members who were ashore, rushed back to the boat to try to save crew members and vital equipment. This is when the second bomb went off, and the Rainbow warrior sank. After denying this act of terrorism initially, the French government eventually owned up to it and the perpetrators were jailed.
Since it seems many younger people do not know of this act  of terrorism, I want a tattoo which not only means something to me, but might inspire people to ask me what it means,. So that's what it will say. And, since I am going to have the tattoo, I figured I might as well use it to try to raise money for Greenpeace.
So, I am planning to be sponsored. The local press will be doing an article about this, local businesses are supporting me, and I have set up an online donation page.
I would like to urge anyone reading this to please sponsor me. Any amount at all, no matter how small, will help Greenpeace to protect our world. Be it putting crew out in a tiny dinghy in a huge ocean to place itself between a family of whales, and a massive whaling ship who wants to fire explosive harpoons into them indiscriminately. It'll kill whales with babies alongside, older calves and whatever gets the harpoon. They don't die fast. Greenpeace will go onto ice flows, to try to prevent innocent and helpless seal cubs being battered and skinned . They get battered in front of their horrified mothers and terrified siblings. Some are skinned while still alive.warning graphic and distressing images
Please help me to support Greenpeace, even if you only have 50p to spare.
Go to this page and sponsor me.
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/Pam2tattoo4greenpeace

Brave Greenpeace crew putting themselves in front of the massive harpoon to be fired from the Japanese whaling ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment