Saturday 16 June 2012

Future projects

When I'm not well, or when I'm bored, I think up projects and things I'd like to do in the future, money and health permitting. Oh happy coincidence when I have spare cash and I'm not ill at the same time.
For some time now, I have wanted to have a 'green roof' on the extention which covers the dog room and wet room. It's north facing so any insulation would be wonderful. It would also save me a fortune in getting the sloping roof re-felted every few years. It has only a shallow slope and cannot be tiled or slated, unlike the cat room which has a steep slate covered roof which I sowed last year with houseleek (sempervivum). This is starting to spread all over the roof and looks lovely. 
 But the other roof is another matter. To this end I've been giving it some thought. I think my first course of action will be to cover the whole roof with fibreglass matting and then cover this with polyester resin and wait for it to dry. After this, I need to put something lightweight onto the roof to stop whatever substrate I decide on, from sliding off. I will probably use vermiculite, mixed with something else, to give a lightweight substrate. Then into this, I plan on planting sedums. Lots of different varieties. It should look very nice and insulate both rooms nicely.


The next project is to turn the present aviary block into a cattery. It means knocking 2 flights into one to create spacious pens, adding some sort of box for them to sleep in, get wiring installed properly so that each box can have a heated pad, and insulating the walls as well as I possibly can. It also needs a new roof. If I only had a spare £500 I could do at least one of the projects. I'd better start saving up.


Today has been mild and sunny with a stiff breeze which is perfect weather for me. I love the sound of wind. The warmer temperatures and bit of warmth are balm to my arthritis and I haven't been in so much pain today. This alone means that I'm generally happier and more cheerful. I went over to the feed mill this morning and bought the chicken food and parrot food, and some bulk chew treats for the dogs just in case they ever behave themselves :0)


'Archie The Pig' did his absolute bestest sit ever for his chewy stick. The concentration on his face was a treat to behold as he made sure his bum was firmly down and straight, and he kept absolutely still and didn't try to snatch it. We came a little unstuck however when I decided to train him to do a 'sit up' (which is a beg). His large bull terrier head makes him top heavy so it's hard for him to sit up on his haunches and maintain his balance. He gave it a good go though and got up with front paws in the air, then started to topple back and decided that if he was going, the treat was going with him so he snatched it. 
Unluckily, he also snatched my hand. However it wasn't hard and didn't even mark me. When he realised he'd got my flesh in between his teeth, he was horrified ,and spat hand and treat out right away, then came over to apologise to me all ears back, tail wagging low with a dopey bull terrier grin on his face, looking very shamefaced lol. 
Needless to say he got the treat anyway and no harm was done. 
When I think how well behaved he is. How he lives harmoniously with the other dogs, shares treats, doesn't snatch food from my hand, and is generally so well behaved and obedient, it makes me very happy. When I got him, I spoke to a breeder and judge of bull terriers who'd had the breed for 40 years. I had some real moments of doubt when she told me that she would NEVER have sold me a puppy. The breed apparently is impossible to train, hard to house train. Cannot live with other dogs. Must NEVER be fed in the presence of another dog. And on the Bull terrier club UK web page is states in big letters
 "DO NOT KEEP A MALE BULL TERRIER WITH ANOTHER MALE DOG!!!!"
Archie cuddling his little friend Einstein as they sleep.
Boy am I glad that Archie can't read as he lives happily with his best mate Kaiser who is a rottie X GSD male, and Einstein a male chihuaua, and Chalky, a male terrier cross. Of course all of my dogs are neutered, so that makes a difference. But not, apparently, to bull terriers.


Archie and his 'brother' Kaiser.
When I got home from the feed mill, after some fortifying black coffee, I unloaded the car in stages and moved an old pine cupboard to the front of the portacabin to use as a nice raised bed. I put soil and compost in and planted out some tomatoes.It's a nice sunny position so I'm hopeful they will do well there. Then after my efforts, my spine felt as though it was about to snap, I could not feel my left leg  and I was filthy and sweaty so I came indoors for painkillers, more coffee and a shower. And showering is something I'm not allowed to do alone as apparently it can be dangerous. Well according to Archie that is, who has to come into the wet room and lay on the floor watching, just in case the plughole monster tries to suck me away, in which case, Archie will leap to the rescue and bite him................hard!
 I shall no doubt be in pain for the next 2 days because of today but it was worth it. I'll take 2 tramadol tonight and hope that this keeps me pain free overnight and see what tomorrow brings.
I shall boil some nice fresh local new potatoes later on, and steam some ground elder to have with the goat joint I roasted last night which was marinaded in garlic, honey, ginger and lime juice. 



No comments:

Post a Comment