Saturday 9 June 2012

Tesco versus Morrisons, no contest

The other day I went to visit my friend in Norfolk. On the way home, I first stopped at a little farm shop to buy locally grown new potatoes and asparagus, and locally produced honey from the apiary across the road, where I had once visited and been introduced to the bees. Then, as I had not taken any meat out of the freezer that morning, I decided to stop at the nearest supermarket to buy myself a pork chop. Of course, being an ethical shopper, who is also an animal lover, I have to buy only free range meat.
 Morrisons was on the route home so I pulled in. I figured that since they advertise on the telly about just how ethical their food is and how wonderful it is, (and, since they are so much more expensive than Tesco,) that they'd have a great selection of free range meat to choose from.
 I wandered up and down the meat aisles and just could not find the free range pork. So I asked a member of staff, who didn't know, but went off to ask someone. He came back and said "we don't sell any free range meat apart from chicken". 
 I was stunned and stood there with my mouth open in amazement as I stared at him, not quite comprehending what he had just said. So I asked him to repeat himself. I'd heard correctly. In a day when more and more people understand the horrors of factory farming and are choosing to buy only ethically reared meat, Morrisons still offers only factory farmed cruelly reared meat from animals reared in concentration camp conditions. 
Not only that, but they charge the same price per KG as Tesco charges for their free range meat!!
Needless to say, I put down my basket full of goods, left the store and drove 4 miles out of my way to go to Tesco where I could be sure of getting ALL my groceries cheaper per item and having a large range of ethically reared free range meat. I ended up spending £70 because I got lots of reduced bakery items, and the butchery counter had  fresh free range chickens on sale for a fiver each for a huge bird weighing around 2KG which will do a whole week's worth of meals for me.
 Plus, the butcher on the counter is the MOST friendly cheerful man I have ever met in a supermarket. He epitomises what a butcher should look like, being all round, rosy cheeked and jolly. Shame Tesco has supplied him with a while overall instead of a lovely traditional blue and white striped apron. He greets all the customers as though they are friends, and when I pass, he always calls a greeting and draws my attention to something on special offer which he knows I might like, being aware of my ethical tendencies towards meat. In fact, he acts like a village butcher might act, standing in the doorway of his shop, greeting customers as they pass. He is a credit to Tesco.
 So there you have it. Morrisons is not only expensive, but isn't interested in stocking meat from free ranging animals.
 Tesco offers a wide range (in a smaller store) and their prices are much much lower.  I know where I shall stay shopping.


the truth about factory farming

No comments:

Post a Comment